N100 Help Page
Practice Exam 1, Biology N100, IUPUI, Dr. Marrs
25 questions; Answer Key follows Question 25
Multiple Choice: please select the best answer:
1. The instructions for growth, development, metabolism, and reproduction of a cell are contained in:
2. All living organisms are able to:
3. Science is based on
4. A theory is:
5. The Cell Theory:
Match the following compounds (6-13) with its class of macromolecules (a-e). Answers may be used more than once:
a) disaccharide b) lipid c) protein d) polysaccharide e) monosaccharide
6. _______ cellulose
7. _______ albumin
8 ._______ glucose
9. _______ table sugar
10. ______ glycogen
12. ______ enzyme
13. ______ triacylglycerol
14. Which of the following structure-function pairs in the cell is incorrectly matched?
15.Olestra is a “fake fat”. Which if the following statements is true about Olestra?
a) Products containing Olestra are calorie-free
b) We are unable to digest Olestra because our intestines do not normally make lipase
c) Olestra is known to dissolve and carry away the vitamins A, D, E, and K
d) Olestra has 8 fatty acid tails and cannot be digested by lipase enzymes in the intestines.
e) c & d
16. Within a layer of phospholipid molecules in a cell, which part of the lipid molecule faces the cytoplasm?
17. Which of the following would be found in an animal cell but NOT in a bacterial cell?
18. The Prion Hypothesis states that
20. What characterizes a prokaryotic cell?
21. What domain of organisms describes groups of prokaryotes that tend to live in extreme environments?
22. Glycoproteins and glycolipids in the plasma membrane
a) Provide a means for cell-cell commnication
b) Allow immune cells to recognize a "self" from a "non-self" cell
c) Help cells to adhere, or stick together, to form tissues
d) Are responsible for the differenced between the A, B, O blood groups
e) All of the above
23. and 24. The 'sequence', or order of amino acids in a protein is termed its (23) ____________, whereas the 3-dimensional structure of a two proteins interacting with each other is termed its (24) ____________
25. Why is is recommended that perople limit their consumption of trans-fats?
a) Trans fats raise 'bad cholesterol'
b) Trans-fats lower 'good' cholesterol
c) Trans-fat consumption in linked to an increase in coronary heart disease.
d) all of the above
e) b and c only
f) a and c only
I'll post the answers on the Web before class Weds!
|1. c||6. d||11. b||16. a||
|2. e||7. c||12. c||17. a||
|3. c||8. e||13. b||18. b||
|4. d||9. a||14. c||19. a||
|5. e||10. d||15. e||20. b||
HOW DID YOU DO??
Don't like how you did the first time? Study the material again, then re-take the exam. Remember, vocabulary words are defined in the lecture notes glossary; figures and tables in the text can be a really good summary of processes, and your CD-rom and book have practice questions as well!!! Remember, do not wait for the exam to find out you really don't understand something - ask me a question if you are unclear about things. There is no such thing as a "bad" question but there is such thing as a bad exam grade! Reach me by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org), phone (278-4551), or in person (SL 330).